University of Minnesota
UMN Travel
Home | Travel 101 | Rates | Reservations | International Travel | Hospitality

Travel Services, a program of Purchasing Services

Welcome to the new Travel Services website!

We hope you like the new, streamlined, more-to-the-point format of this information. Please let us know what you think!

All travel must be in compliance with the University's travel policy, regardless of the funding source.

Top 5 things you need to know

  1. Expenses are for valid University business-related purposes;
  2. Expenses must be substantiated and documented;
  3. Expenses must be approved by an authority other than the traveler;
  4. Reimbursement request and receipts must be turned in within 60 days;
  5. International travel must be registered.


About Travel Services

The Travel Services program is part of Purchasing Services, a unit within the Controller's Office. The Controller's Office reports to the Vice President & CFO Richard Pfutzenreuter. Travel Services is responsible for administering University travel contracts, the development and implementation of travel policies and procedures and informing University staff about these contracts, policies and procedures.

Make Reservations For Business Travel

Direct Travel - Concur Online Booking

National/Enterprise Car Rental Booking


International Travel

Register Your International Travel

OANDA currency exchange rates



2015 Mileage Rate Change

The IRS announced changes in the standard business mileage rates for calendar year 2015.  Beginning January 1, 2015, the standard business mileage reimbursement rate for personal vehicle use on approved University business will increase from 56 cents to 57.5 cents per mile. See the Rates section of the Administrative Policy: Traveling on University Business. The standard mileage rate for moving expenses will be 23 cents per mile as non-taxable and the remaining 34.5 cents per mile as taxable. Business mileage incurred in 2014 but reimbursed in 2015 should be reimbursed using the 2014 mileage rates. The Employee Expense Worksheet UM1612 and the Moving/Relocation Expense Documentation Form UM1357 (doc) are being updated to reflect the changes to the mileage rates.

Relocation and Moving Expenses

Travel Services arranges for U-Wide contracts for moving companies and provides information for departments on paying for relocation and moving expenses.